Lemony Lemon Cupcakes
Do you love lemon? Then you'll love these lemon cupcakes. Give them a raspberry or strawberry kick with icing or by spreading/squirting some jam in the middle. Top them off with some delicious vanilla or chocolate buttercream icing. Mmm mmm!
Want a super-duper citrus splash? Try some lemon pudding in the middle or a bit of juice in your vanilla buttercream. Delicious!
You can also use this as a lemon cake recipe. Double each ingredient and increase baking time by 7 to 10 minutes. Test "doneness" by inserting a toothpick or skewer in the middle. If it comes out clean ... perfect!
- milk or soy milk (1 cup)
- apple cider vinegar (1 tsp)
- flour (1 1/4 cups)
- tapioca starch (2 tbsp)
- baking powder (3/4 tsp)
- baking soda (1/2 tsp)
- sugar (3/4 cup)
- salt (1/2 tsp)
- vanilla extract (2 tsp)
- oil (1/3 cup)
- juice and zest* of one lemon
*Tip ... Try using lime instead of lemon. Add some coconut icing for a yummy, tropical, sweet treat!
*Zest your lemon by grating it (unpeeled) gently. Press just hard enough to remove the yellow of the peel.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Lightly grease or fill cupcake pan with liners.
- Mix together milk and vinegar in a cup or small bowl and let sit for a few minutes.
- Wash, zest*, and juice the lemon.
- Blend dry ingredients, mixing completely.
- Add in wet ingredients (and lemon zest).
- Mix for approximately 2 minutes with electric mixer. Mixture should be smooth.
- Pour into baking cups, filling each 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check at 20 minutes as ovens will vary. A toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake should come out clean.
- Let cool and add your favorite topping.
These lemon cupcakes taste great, so why not make them look great too? Add some cupcake wrappers or picks to match your party's theme. Make them your table centerpiece until snack time!